Julia Roberts is an iconic actress who has left an indelible mark on the film industry with her talent and charm. With a career spanning over three decades, Roberts has captivated audiences with her memorable performances and has become one of the most beloved and respected actresses of our time.
Born on October 28, 1967, in Smyrna, Georgia, Julia Roberts discovered her passion for acting at an early age. She made her breakthrough in the 1990s with notable roles in films such as “Pretty Woman” and “Steel Magnolias.” Roberts’ ability to bring characters to life with her infectious smile and undeniable charisma quickly made her a fan favorite.
Julia Roberts movies in order of release
Throughout her career, Julia Roberts has starred in a wide range of films, showcasing her versatility as an actress. Here is a list of Julia Roberts movies in order of their release:
- “Mystic Pizza” (1988): In this coming-of-age film, Roberts shines as Daisy, a young woman working at a small-town pizzeria. Her performance earned critical acclaim and marked the beginning of her rise to stardom.
- “Steel Magnolias” (1989): Roberts portrays Shelby, a young woman with diabetes, in this heartfelt drama. Her powerful performance garnered her an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress.
- “Pretty Woman” (1990): This romantic comedy catapulted Roberts to international fame. She plays Vivian Ward, a prostitute who captures the heart of a wealthy businessman, played by Richard Gere. Roberts’ charm and charisma made “Pretty Woman” one of the most iconic films of the 90s.
- “The Pelican Brief” (1993): In this legal thriller, Roberts stars as a law student who uncovers a conspiracy and becomes a target. Her portrayal of a determined and intelligent protagonist solidified her reputation as a versatile actress.
- “Erin Brockovich” (2000): Roberts won an Academy Award for Best Actress for her role as Erin Brockovich, a real-life legal assistant who helps uncover a major environmental scandal. Her powerful performance showcased her ability to portray strong, independent women.
Julia Roberts best movies ranked
Julia Roberts has an impressive filmography, but some of her movies stand out as her best work. Here are some of Julia Roberts’ best movies, ranked based on critical acclaim, audience reception, and cultural impact:
- “Pretty Woman” (1990): This romantic comedy remains one of Roberts’ most iconic films. Her portrayal of Vivian Ward, a prostitute who finds love, captured the hearts of audiences worldwide and solidified her status as a Hollywood star.
- “Erin Brockovich” (2000): Roberts’ portrayal of the determined and tenacious Erin Brockovich earned her an Academy Award for Best Actress. The film’s inspiring true story and Roberts’ powerful performance make it a must-watch.
- “Steel Magnolias” (1989): In this emotional drama, Roberts shines as Shelby, a young woman battling diabetes. Her performance, alongside an ensemble cast, garnered critical acclaim and showcased her ability to tackle complex roles.
- “Ocean’s Eleven” (2001): Roberts joins an ensemble cast in this heist film, playing Tess Ocean, the ex-wife of Danny Ocean (played by George Clooney). Her chemistry with the cast, coupled with the film’s stylish execution, makes it a highly enjoyable watch.
- “Notting Hill” (1999): Roberts stars opposite Hugh Grant in this romantic comedy about a Hollywood actress who falls in love with an ordinary bookstore owner. Her natural charm and undeniable chemistry with Grant make this film a fan favorite.
Julia Roberts most popular movie
While all of Julia Roberts’ movies have garnered attention and praise, one film stands out as her most popular: “Pretty Woman” (1990). This romantic comedy, directed by Garry Marshall, became a cultural phenomenon and solidified Roberts’ status as America’s sweetheart.
“Pretty Woman” tells the story of Vivian Ward, a prostitute who is hired by a wealthy businessman, Edward Lewis (played by Richard Gere), to accompany him to social events. As they spend more time together, a genuine connection forms, and they fall in love. The film’s combination of romance, comedy, and Roberts’ undeniable charm captured the hearts of audiences worldwide.
“Pretty Woman” not only launched Roberts’ career into superstardom but also became a classic in the romantic comedy genre. The film’s memorable scenes, such as the iconic shopping spree on Rodeo Drive and the heartwarming ending, have made it a beloved favorite for decades. Roberts’ portrayal of Vivian Ward remains one of her most iconic and beloved roles.
Julia Roberts movies and TV shows
In addition to her successful film career, Julia Roberts has also made appearances in television shows. While her focus has primarily been on movies, Roberts has made notable guest appearances on popular TV shows. Here are some of Julia Roberts’ memorable TV appearances:
- “Friends” (1996): Roberts guest-starred in the hit sitcom “Friends” as Susie Moss, a former classmate of Chandler Bing (played by Matthew Perry). Her character seeks revenge on Chandler for a childhood prank. Roberts’ comedic timing and chemistry with the cast made her appearance memorable.
- “Law & Order” (1999): Roberts appeared in a guest role in the long-running crime procedural “Law & Order.” Her performance as a woman accused of murdering her abusive husband showcased her ability to tackle dramatic roles.
While Roberts has primarily focused on her film career, her TV appearances have been well-received by audiences and further showcased her versatility as an actress.
Julia Roberts’ iconic roles and memorable performances
Throughout her career, Julia Roberts has portrayed a wide range of characters, leaving a lasting impact on audiences. Here are some of her most iconic roles and memorable performances:
- Vivian Ward in “Pretty Woman” (1990): Roberts’ portrayal of Vivian Ward, a prostitute who finds love, became the defining role of her career. Her infectious charm and undeniable chemistry with Richard Gere made the film a classic.
- Erin Brockovich in “Erin Brockovich” (2000): Roberts won an Academy Award for her portrayal of Erin Brockovich, a real-life legal assistant who fights against a major corporation. Her powerful performance showcased her ability to portray strong-willed and determined women.
- Shelby Eatenton Latcherie in “Steel Magnolias” (1989): Roberts’ portrayal of Shelby, a young woman battling diabetes, earned her critical acclaim and an Academy Award nomination. Her emotional performance left a lasting impression on audiences.
- Julianne Potter in “My Best Friend’s Wedding” (1997): Roberts showcased her comedic skills in this romantic comedy, playing a woman who realizes she is in love with her best friend shortly before his wedding. Her performance brought both laughter and heartache to audiences.
- Isabel Kelly in “Stepmom” (1998): Roberts starred alongside Susan Sarandon in this emotional drama about a woman navigating her role as a stepmother while dealing with her own personal struggles. Her nuanced performance brought depth to the complex character.
These iconic roles and memorable performances have solidified Julia Roberts’ status as one of the greatest actresses of her generation.
Julia Roberts’ influence on Hollywood and her career evolution
Julia Roberts’ impact on Hollywood extends beyond her impressive filmography. She has been a trailblazer for women in the industry and has inspired countless aspiring actors. Roberts’ influence can be seen in the way she has navigated her career, making bold choices and breaking down barriers.
Roberts’ rise to stardom coincided with a shift in Hollywood’s perception of female leads. With her natural beauty, talent, and charisma, she challenged the industry’s narrow definition of beauty and paved the way for other actresses to embrace their uniqueness.
Throughout her career, Roberts has taken on a variety of roles, showcasing her versatility as an actress. She has effortlessly transitioned between romantic comedies, dramas, and thrillers, proving her ability to captivate audiences in any genre. Her willingness to take risks and explore different genres has set her apart from her peers and cemented her status as a versatile actress.
In addition to her acting career, Roberts has also ventured into producing, further establishing herself as a powerhouse in the industry. Her production company, Red Om Films, has been involved in the creation of critically acclaimed projects, showcasing her commitment to telling meaningful stories.
Julia Roberts’ awards and recognition for her acting
Julia Roberts’ talent and dedication to her craft have been recognized with numerous awards and accolades throughout her career. Here are some of the awards she has received:
- Academy Awards: Roberts won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her role in “Erin Brockovich” (2000). Her powerful portrayal of Erin Brockovich, a real-life legal assistant, earned her critical acclaim and solidified her as one of the industry’s finest actresses.
- Golden Globe Awards: Roberts has won three Golden Globe Awards. She received the Best Actress – Drama award for “Erin Brockovich” (2000) and the Best Actress – Musical or Comedy awards for “Pretty Woman” (1990) and “My Best Friend’s Wedding” (1997).
- Screen Actors Guild Awards: Roberts has been recognized by the Screen Actors Guild with multiple awards. She won the Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role award for “Erin Brockovich” (2000) and has received nominations for her performances in other films.
- BAFTA Awards: Roberts has been honored by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts with two BAFTA Awards. She won the Best Actress award for “Erin Brockovich” (2000) and received the Rising Star Award earlier in her career.
These awards and nominations are a testament to Roberts’ talent and the impact she has had on the film industry.
Julia Roberts’ upcoming projects and future plans
As a beloved and respected actress, fans are always eager to know what Julia Roberts has in store for the future. While Roberts has taken on fewer projects in recent years, she continues to captivate audiences with her performances. Here are some of Julia Roberts’ upcoming projects and future plans:
- “Gaslit”: Roberts will star in the upcoming anthology series “Gaslit,” based on the podcast “Slow Burn.” The series will explore the Watergate scandal, with Roberts portraying Martha Mitchell, the wife of Attorney General John Mitchell. This highly anticipated project is sure to showcase Roberts’ talent in a gripping and timely story.
- “Leave the World Behind”: Roberts is set to star in and produce the film adaptation of Rumaan Alam’s novel “Leave the World Behind.” The story follows two families who are forced to confront the unknown when a blackout disrupts their lives. Roberts’ involvement in the project ensures an engaging and compelling film.
- Focus on philanthropy: In addition to her acting career, Roberts has been actively involved in philanthropic endeavors. She has supported various causes, including UNICEF, RED, and Stand Up To Cancer. Roberts’ commitment to making a difference in the world will undoubtedly continue to be a focus in her future plans.
While specific details about Roberts’ future projects may be limited, fans can rest assured knowing that her talent and passion for storytelling will continue to shine on the big screen.
Conclusion: Julia Roberts’ legacy in the film industry
Julia Roberts’ impact on the film industry is undeniable. From her breakthrough role in “Pretty Woman” to her powerful performance in “Erin Brockovich,” Roberts has consistently delivered memorable performances that have captivated audiences worldwide.
Her ability to effortlessly transition between genres and embody a wide range of characters has made her one of the most versatile and respected actresses of her generation. Roberts’ influence extends beyond her acting career, as she has inspired countless aspiring actors and challenged Hollywood’s standards.
As Julia Roberts continues to leave her mark on the film industry, her legacy will be remembered for her talent, charm, and commitment to storytelling. Whether she is starring in a romantic comedy or a gripping drama, Roberts’ performances continue to captivate audiences and solidify her status as one of Hollywood’s greatest actresses.